Charity and Fundraising
St. Mary’s is proud of its long history of supporting charitable causes.
The generosity and kindness of the whole school community - including pupils, staff and parents - are widely recognised and have benefitted a range of charity organisations over many years.
St. Mary’s charity work fulfils part of the school’s vision whereby we aim to:
- encourage pupils to play an active and responsible role in society;
- provide opportunities for pupils to develop as global citizens;
- encourage pupils to use their talents for the service of others; and
- create a vibrant living faith community where all members of the school community are encouraged to live the Gospel values and be committed to a Christian way of life.
Through charity, fundraising and volunteering activities, pupils learn about charitable causes and the work of particular charitable organisations. Engagement in charity, fundraising and volunteering activities gives pupils an opportunity to put their faith into action, demonstrate Christian values and develop a sense of social responsibility and moral obligation by serving others in need in the local, national and global context.
A core feature of the school’s charity and fundraising work is the annual Year Group Charity Focus. Through this, each Year Group from Year 8 to Year 14 identifies a particular charity and engages in activities to raise funds to support the work of that charity. Throughout each year, other charity and fundraising events are organised by pupils and staff.
Examples of recent charity and fundraising activities in St. Mary’s include:
- Hamper Appeal
- Shoebox Appeal
- Trad for Trocaire
- Battle of the Band
- St. Cecilia’s Celebration of Music Day
- Spring Concert
- St. Mary’s Got Talent
- Non-Uniform Day
- Sponsored Walk
- Sponsored Abseil
- Mini-Enterprise Initiatives
- Coffee Mornings
- Cake Sale
- Bucket Collection
- St. Mary’s Christmas Card Sale
Among the wide range of charities to benefit from the fundraising efforts of the St. Mary’s community in recent years are:
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Habitat for Humanity
- Action Cancer
- Macmillan Cancer Care
- Marie Curie Cancer Care
- Chest, Heart and Stroke Association
- Michaela Harte Foundation
- Feed My Lambs Children’s Ministry, Cambodia
- Make a Wish Foundation
- Northern Ireland Children's Hospice