Health and Physical Fitness
In St. Mary’s, we aim to develop pupils’ awareness of the importance of personal fitness and regular exercise and their understanding of the benefits of a physically active lifestyle.
Our pupils are encouraged to engage in regular physical activity in school through curricular and extra-curricular opportunities such as:
- timetabled PE lessons for all pupils in Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4;
- designated ‘Gym Periods’ for students in Key Stage 5
- training for school sports teams and matches e.g. football, camogie, hurling;
- participation in sporting competitions and events e.g. swimming galas;
- participation in coaching sessions e.g. tennis;
- KS3 Aviva School Mile Challenge
- Duke of Edinburgh expeditions; and
- Year 8 Fun Sports.