2017 Awards Ceremony
Celebrating the successes and achievements of the academic year 2016-17, the annual awards took place in the school on Tuesday 12 September. As well as celebrating the outstanding attainment of pupils in recent GCSE and A Level examinations, the evening also provided an opportunity to recognise the accomplishments of pupils in a range of extra-curricular activities, ranging from sport to public speaking.
Pupils presented with awards included:
• Anna Ledgewood, Barry McErlean, Clare Cassidy, Hannah Maguire, Eimear McCann, Anna O’Kane, Niamh Walls, Cate Bateson, Maria Carey, Mairead Devlin, Anna Gribbin, Caoimhe-Rose Johnston, Anna MCGorrey, Molly O’Neill, Jake Donnelly, Conal Logan, Paul Donnelly, Darragh Madden, Annie Mills, Charlie Duffy, Jack Lavery, Dominic O’Connor and Andreas Layden
• Anna Ledgewood, winner of the Governors Cup (Top Student) & joint winner of the B.P. McKeefrey Cup (Tech) photographed with Barry McErlean – winner of the First Trust Cup (English), the Michael Donoghue Cup (Science) & joint winner of the Margaret McAuley Trophy (GCSE Math)
• Eimear McCann – winner of the Staff Golden Jubilee Cup, Clare Cassidy winner of the Sr Immaculata Cup (RE) & the Monsignor Ward Cup, Anna O’Kane – winner of the Sr Marie Therese Cup, Niamh Walls- winner of the Sayee Family Cup (Art) & the Sr Immaculata Cup (RE) and Hannah Maguire winner of the Mary Donnelly Cup (Add Math), the O’Halloran Cup (Drama) & joint winner of the Margaret McAuley Trophy (GCSE Math)
Margaret McAuley Trophy
• Hannah Maguire, Barry McErlean, Charlie Duffy & Jake Donnelly joint winners of the Margaret McAuley Trophy (GCSE Math)
B.P. McKeefrey Cup
• This cup was presented to award winners Dominic O’Connor & Anna Ledgewood by Pierce & Cathy McKeefry from B.P. McKeefry for ‘excellence in Technology and Design’. B.P. McKeefry has given a generous busary to the joint winners of this Technology award.
• Maria Mackle, Anne McCoy, Aisling McWilliams, Ryan Tennyson, Mary Lagan, Cian McStocker, Aoife Mulvenna, Maria Bradley, John Collins, Claire Kearney, Niamh Lagan, Orla McEvoy, Eimear McKernan, Caoimhe Mullan, Chloe O’Neill.
Perpetual Shield Winners
• Roise Pelan, Carrie Bate, Donovan Campbell, Kealan Friel, Molly McAllister, Samantha McCarron, Catriona McCoy, Anna McDermott.
St Marys Shield Winners
• Randal Rory McDonnell, Fearghal McKenna, Niamh McLarnon, Daniel McNamee, Padraig Mitchell, Bronagh O’Neill, Niamh Corrigan-Gordon, Eva Maguire, James Donnelly, Donal Lagan, Ciara Malcom, Finola McCaughan, Shauna McConomy, Clodagh McErlean, Ciaran Mullan, Eadaoin Donaghy, Emmett Donnelly, Ciara Hazlett, Eimear McAleer and Elisha McAleer. Jake McAllister, Cianan McCann, Anna McCloskey, Sarah McQuaid, Sarah Mullan, Maebh O’Doherty, Catriona O’Neill, Tanya O’Neill, Aaron McAlynn, Caitlin McKeever, Jane Young, Kayla Cunningham, Brian Henry, Eva Kilpatrick, Paul McErlain, Rory McMullan, Ronan Muldoon, Orla O’Kane, Nicola O’Neill and Bridin McAllister. Ivana Scott, Katie Walker, Patrick Bateson, Andreas Layden, Kate Loughlin, Ryan McCann, Ben McErlain, Katherine Sheilds, Chloe Conway, Kayleigh Doherty, Conor McCann, Emér McElroy, Michael McLaughlin, Keeva Neely, Sinead Rocks, Lorcan Darragh, Conor Maynes, Dearbhla McCann, Joe O’Hagan and Cathaoir Purvis.
Key Stage 4 & 5 House Award Winners
• Eimear McCann, Harry Conway, Ryan Murphy, Ben Eastwood, Brian Cassidy, Sean Corcoran, Matthew Larkin, Eilis Pendlebury, Ciara Cassidy, Erin Mullan, Cathal Donnelly, Ruairi Keenan, Cathal McErlean, Conan Quinn, Brid McGee, Katherine Sheilds, Eimear McKernan, Ciara Hazlett, Catriona McCoy, Anna McCloskey, Molly McAllister and Aisling McWilliams.
• Rannafast Cup Captain Conal Logan, Kirk Cup Captain Sean Lagan and Under 16 Ladies Football Captain Maria Carey.
The 90th Anniversary Cup
• The 90th Anniversary Cup presented by the staff of St Mary’s was awarded to a Conor McCluskey who has managed to successfully balance curricular and extra-curricular school activies. Conor was unable to attend the event due to training commitments but his father collected the award on his behalf from Principal Ms D Gillespie.
The Joanne McConville Cup
• The Joanne McConville trophies, presented by the McConville Family in memory of Joanne, were awarded to the boy and girl in Year 12 who, in the opinion of teachers, most consistently displayed kindness, consideration and friendship to other pupils in the year group. The cup winners Ferarghal McKenna, Finola McCaughan, Paula Rose McAuley and Nicola O’Neill are pictured with school principal Ms D Gillespie.
• Sarah Gallen was the recipient of several cups on the night. Sarah, who achieved 4 Grade A* in her A Levels, was placed 1st in the school in English Literature, History and Religious Studies and shares the Staff Diamond Jubilee Trophy with Damien McCoy who also achieved 4 Grade A*. Sarah, pictured with Principal Ms D Gillespie, received The Bradley Cup, Presented by Miss P Bradley and awarded for excellence in English Literature at A Level, The Margaret Murphy History Cup, Presented by Mrs Margaret Murphy and awarded for excellence in History at A Level as well as The FR Moore Cup Presented by Fr Moore and awarded for excellence in Religious Studies at A Level.
Salt Of The Earth Cup
• Introduced in 2013, the Salt of Earth Award is presented annually by each school within the Magherafelt Learning Partnership to one student who has made outstanding personal efforts in serving the local, national and/or international community. The fourth recipient of the award in St Mary’s was Una McKeown who is picture with school Principal Ms D Gillespie.
75th & 80th Anniversary Cup
• The 75th and 80th Anniversary Cups presented by the staff of St Mary’s are awarded to the Upper Sixth boy and girl who have made the most contribution to the community spirit of the school. Sean Marley received the 80th Anniversary Cup while Lucy Quinn (missing from photo) received the 75th Anniversary Cup.
THE MAGHERAFELT MARKET TRUSTEES CUP
• Presented by the Magherafelt Market Trustees and awarded to the pupil in Lower Sixth who best displayed enterprise and entrepreneurship throughout Year 13 The Magherafelt Market Trustees has given a generous busary to the award winner Clodagh Mullin who is pictured with principal Ms D Gillespie.
Our Guest of Honour Mr Roddy O’Kane could not resist having his pictured taken with the MacRory Cup and chatted with members of the team. Consultant Neurosurgeon Mr O'Kane was also pictured with our Principal Ms D Gillespie and members of the Platform Party who presented awards on the night.